CD-ROM Tutorial on Data Storage Systems
The DSSC is proud to offer an interactive, multimedia tool to educate and train a broad audience in the fundamentals of magnetic and optical recording systems. This 21-hour, seven-CD-ROM set can be used independently, as part of a training class, or as supplemental material in an academic course.
This project was supported in part by the National Science Foundation under award #9711734.
- Material is taken in part from a currently existing Carnegie Mellon course, Design of Data Storage Systems, a team-taught, interdisciplinary introduction to data storage.
- Modular in nature
- Includes lecture/slide material by various DSSC faculty members
- Just-In-Time digitized video
- Q&A section
- Modules are linked using hypertext
This tutorial has been designed for several audiences:
- New or junior-level industrial personnel in data storage who desire a self-taught course in data storage technology.
- Experienced engineers and scientists who want to refresh or update their knowledge.
- Faculty at other universities who wish to supplement their own teaching material.
- Senior-level undergraduate or early-year graduate students who desire independent study of data storage technology.
Module Listing and Demos
- Course Introduction
- Introduction to Magnetic Recording
- Magneto-Optic Materials
- Domain Walls and Magnetostriction
- Magnetic Record Heads
- Inductive Read Heads
- Magnetic Recording Process
- Inductive Write Heads
- Spin Valve and GMR Heads
- Particulate Recording Media
- Thin Film Media
- Introduction to Head-Disk Interface (HDI)
- Air Bearing Modeling and Slider Design
- Tribology - Lubrication
- Selected Topics on the HDI
- Introduction to Servo for Disk Drives
- Introduction to Optical Recording
- CD-ROM Technology
- Write-Once Read Many (WORM)
- Magneto-Optical Recording
- Optical Recording Media
- Signal Processing
- Error Control Coding
- Dr. James Bain, Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE)
- Dr. Myung Jhon, Chemical Engineering
- Dr. Mark Kryder, ECE, Seagate Technology
- Dr. B.V.K. Vijaya Kumar, ECE
- Dr. William Messner, Mechanical Engineering
- Dr. Robert White, ECE
- Dr. Jian-Gang Zhu, ECE
If, after reading the information on these pages about the Tutorial, you have any questions, please contact Patricia L. Grieco, Administrative Manager, DSSC.
The Tutorial is being offered at two prices: one for DSSC members, one for non-members.
- $10,000 – Member organizations*
- $40,000 – Non-member organizations
Orders shipped to addresses in Pennsylvania or California will be charged appropriate sales tax.
Complete the order form for Introduction to Data Storage Systems CD-ROM Tutorial.
* DSSC Members paying membership fees less than $30,000 per year please contact the DSSC for a purchase price.
Purchasing this product technically means you are purchasing a license to use a copy of this software.
Purchase of a license allows:
- Unlimited distribution of the software within the purchasing organization.
- Distribution of the software to any and all locations of the purchasing organization.
Purchase of a license prohibits:
- Distribution of the software to persons not employed by the organization.
- Installation of the software on computers not owned by the organization (such as employees' home computers).
A copy of the license must be downloaded, signed, and returned to the Data Storage Systems Center before an order can be processed. Detailed instructions are included in the license document. Please select the appropriate license to download:
- PC with Microsoft Windows (any version)
- 300 MHz CPU
- 30 MB disk space
- CD ROM drive
- Sound card or built-in audio
- Headphones or speakers